Edward and Elizabeth Jacob Abbott House, 278 Beverly Road
|Tom and Rose Abbott LaValle Donley House, 1948. Janice Garlock Donley Collection.|
This house was built by Edward and Elizabeth Jacob Abbott in 1924, when their farm was subdivided into lots and sold to the developer, Howard W. Salkeld. Their daughter, Rose, and her family also occupied the house. Elizabeth died in 1934, and the house was sold when Edward Abbott died in 1943. It has been used as a business property since then.
The current house is on the spot of the original log homestead where Edward’s parents, Christian and Magdalena Abbott set up housekeeping in 1852. The log house was torn down in 1868 when the new farmhouse was built. In 1875 A. C. Wooster was commissioned to do an oil painting of the new house. The Donley Collection, Pennsylvania.