St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church
|St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, photographed in 2004 by Ed Donley.|
|Detail of St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, photographed in 2004 by Ed Donley. The text is "Deutche Wereinigt Eval. Protestantische St. Johannes Kirche, A.D. 1872", which translates to "German United Evangelical Protestant St. John's Church, A.D. 1872". Apparently "St" was painted on after the engraving and has since worn off. Click on the photo for a larger image.|
|Detail of St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, above the main entrance, photographed in 2004 by Ed Donley. Click on the photo for a larger image.|
The St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church met at the corner of Sixth and Highland Avenue in Carnegie in this building. See 1896-97 maps. Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Church began its ministry to the people of Mansfield, Pennsylvania on February 26, 1882. The Rev. E. F. A. Dittmer was called to be the first Pastor of the "Egangelish [sic] Luthernock Kirche" on August 2, 1882, and remained for 41 years. The original building, which was purchased at a sheriff's sale, still stands on Highland Avenue near Sixth Avenue. Saint John had a parochial school for several years, and the congregation built a building to house it in 1885/86. This is the white frame building next to the church in the photograph above. In 1898, a pipe organ was built for the church by the M. P. Moller Organ Company. The Christian and August Abbott families were members of this church. See the family members listed in the church records. Now, in 2004, this church building is being used as a warehouse.
- Collection of Historical Society of Robinson Township, 2004.
1000 Church Hill Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15205
- "A Trip Down Memory Lane"
2002 Parish Membership Directory
Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Church
601 Washington Avenue
Carnegie, PA 15106